15. September 2017
In 1677-1678, the VOC (Dutch trading partnership) obtained permission from Amangkurat II, King of Mataram, to build a fort on the coast. VOC chose the location at the turn of Kali Semarang to establish a five-pointed fort (vijfhoek). Later, the VOC built a town in the east south east. The area is the forerunner of Kota Semarang Old Area (KKLS). Between the years 1741-1756, the fort was torn down. Instead, in 1756 stood a new fortress that surrounds the city. The citadel concept lasted for about